History of the Municipal Court
Records indicate that a petition to the Greene County Common Pleas court for incorporation of Xenia was filed March 29, 1817. Sixty-six signatures are on that document. While the village became a city in 1834, Cornelius Clark, a lawyer became its first mayor. The City Council had its first meeting March 3, 1834 and the city was so governed by major and city council until January 2, 1918. Xenia had been governed by the commission/city manager form of municipal government since that date, the original charter having been adopted August 30, 1917.
The first municipal Judge was the Honorable William Dodds. The frequency of this court can be found In "Caron’s Directory of the City of Xenia, Ohio 1915 -1916, Volume 1" where we find the words, "Court sits when necessary at City Hall." Dodds also served as Mayor in 1913. Following Dodds as municipal Judge was E. Dawson Smith who served from 1918 - 1919.
In the more recent years, Greene County was served by four courts. 1st District Court served Beavercreek and Beavercreek Townships and the Fairborn Municipal Court served Fairborn City and Bath Township. Xenia Municipal covered Xenia Township and Xenia City, and the 2nd District Court covered the remainder of Greene County. Joseph Hagler was the Judge of Xenia Municipal and served until ill health forced him to step down. Brown W. Pettit completed Judge Hagler’s term. Judge Raymond C. Hieber was the Judge of the 2nd District Court.
On January 1, 1978, the four courts merged into two. 1st District Court and Fairborn Municipal merged into what we now know as The Fairborn Municipal Court. Xenia Municipal and 2nd District Court also merged into one court, The Xenia Municipal Court. Both Judge Hieber and Judge Pettit were on the ballot to serve as the Judge of this new court with Judge Hieber winning the election. Judge Hieber served a total of eighteen years as municipal Judge in from 1978 - 1995, and nine years as the 2nd District Court Judge for a total of twenty-seven years.
In those early years of the district courts, Xenia Municipal court was held in the City Building which was erected in 1968, while 2nd District Court was conducted in the basement of the Greene County Courthouse. XMC held court in what is now the City Commission room. Starting in 1989 and completed in 1991 the City Building underwent a major building project that would remodel existing rooms as well as add the current court room, lobby, etc. During the time of construction, XMC was held in the old Home Federal Bank Building on north Detroit Street.
On November 8, 1995 Susan Goldie was elected Judge of XMC and served two terms (1996 - 2007).
Michael K. Murry won the November 2007 election and began his first term on January 2, 2008. He served as Judge of Xenia Municipal Court until December 31, 2019.
Ronald C. Lewis won the November 2019 election and began his first term on January 1, 2020. He served until he was appointed to the Second District Court of Appeals in December 2020.
Judge David McNamee was appointed to the bench of Xenia Municipal Court by Governor Mike DeWine. He assumed office on April 11, 2022. He must run for election in 2023 to complete the unexpired term ending December 31, 2025.